Wednesday 28 November 2012

"I will not say 'do not weep,' for not all tears are evil." ~Gandalf


Hello friends, 

What better way to start off a blog than with presh lambs?

Minor disclaimer: as my internet is spotty and I don't always have lots of time to post, there may be a few minor spelling or grammatical errors. Though I edited the last two posts, this one may still contain a smattering. Feel free to let me know about errors, and I'll correct them as I get them.

Pretty water near Mount Manganui

A letter, associated with photos of some of my favorite places/moments...I'll caption them with where/what they are.

Sunrise on Hot Water Beach

Dearest New Zealand,

The first words I read about you when I found out I would be coming here were these: “New Zealand is young and impetuant, ready to rumble at any moment.”

Cathedral Cove


New Zealand, you are unruly and exciting. I've only been here five months, and two of your volcano have erupted in that time, and there have been countless earthquakes. The land “slips” (I love that phrase your Kiwis came up with. It's as if the land said “whoops!” and fell over.”) that pepper your mountains and countryside are common and excessive and dangerous.

Rainbow near Papamoa Beach

The rockslides are numerous. I have seen so many signs for falling rocks, watch for falling rocks, no stopping area, et cetera. It seems you aren't truly settled.

Rainbow on the way to Wellington from Napier
It makes sense. You have quite a few things going on here. Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Avatar, Narnia, and so many other movies were shot here. Though your population isn't huge, your Kiwis are proud.

Sunrise on East Cape

But New Zealand, this is where I'll chide you. Don't poof up your ego around strangers that your Kiwis are so spectacular. Don't send us here under false pretenses, thinking that all Kiwis are nice and friendly, and the nicest people in the world. It's not nice. Let's be honest. You have some nice people, and, like the rest of the world, you have some scum. Just be straight New Zealand. There's no reason to be proud or pompous with us. We're all flawed. People and countries alike.

Lake Waikeremoana

You are beautiful though. I sincerely mean that. I'm certain you've heard it before, so I won't elaborate, especially after reminding you not to be excessively proud.

Tongariro National Park

Your cities and towns are sweet for the most part. Though I don't believe Auckland is anything spectacular, and Queenstown doesn't feel like a part of New Zealand, many of them I like. The abundance of public toilets, and the signs to the public toilets, I appreciate immensely. 

Taking on the surf at Papamoa Beach


The creepy voices in the “fancy” public toilets creep me out though. Honestly if we have to touch something to open the door, just let us lock the door ourselves.

Sunset on 90 Mile Beach on my birthday
I am so happy to have eaten so much pie here. It is one thing I will attempt to replicate when I return home. Your pie is superb. Not everywhere, granted, but there are so many choices, and I so enjoyed it. The rest of your cuisine is fine as well...

Giant Sand Dunes, far North


Pavlova is yummy, and definitely something I'll attempt a few times in my lifetime, but I'm too much a fan of chocolate. I liked Pavolva though. It was as if I was eating a cloud. I love that.

Cape Reinga, where Tasman Sea meets the Pacific Ocean
So New Zealand, thanks for the memories. Thanks for every blister I got on my feet (courtesy of Abel Tasman, Ben Lomond, desire for free wifi in Queenstown, and Routeburn) to remind me how great they are and how much I walked across you. I hope I stepped lightly. And I promise I didn't take that much sand, and it'll be up on a shelf when I get home to be admired by all.

All of the adorable bathroom people...


Thanks for all of the beautiful sunrises, and every breathtaking sunset, and especially for all of your beaches that brought me to my knees. I am so happy that I got to see so much of you, and that so much of you was so amazing to me. Especially that night out on the East Coast when the waves were incredible and huge and they looked so powerful. That was great.


View of beloved Wellington Harbor from Mount Victoria

And I'm glad you were kind enough to make Tim Tams be on sale so often so that I could buy some to bring home. I'll be doing Tim Tam slams with all of you in less than a month. (Mom, we'll go for a huge walk out on Piedmont Park, before going to Trader Joe's, then we can come home and do Tim Tam slams.)

Mount Taranaki, taken from a bus

And thank you, for, on my last day in New Zealand, opening up the heavens and letting me buy a few pie dishes for myself so that I can make pie when I get home.


Hiking Abel Tasman

New Zealand, thank you, more than anything, for making me so happy and excited about my own country. I can't wait to go home and explore it some more.

Abel Tasman National Park

I love you, I'll be seeing you,  

Near Christchurch
View from Remarkables Ski area, near Queenstown

Near Tasman Glacier, near Mount Cook

View from Ben Lomond, Mount Christina on the left

Key Summit of Routeburn 
It's been real New Zealand.
Thanks for reading my kiwi adventures all!
Now off to Auz.


1 comment:

  1. It is fun to be in New Zealand seeing some of the places you saw. Your pictures are much more vibrant than mine.There is so much to see and not enough time! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete