Tuesday 13 January 2015

Keep [Insert City Name] Weird. "Portland"

Last October, I had the incredible opportunity to visit Portland, Oregon. My fabulous new job sent me there for a training workshop. People, I am so pleased to be employed. 

I've been to Portland when I was younger, and have a few select memories, but it thrilled me to go back. The highlights for me were walking across a few bridges and by the river, Keller Fountain, Powell's City of Books and the food carts. 

Guys, THE FOOD CARTS. It's fabulous not because the food is incredible (though it is), but because the ease of access is phenomenal. From my hotel, there were HUNDREDS of options within walking distance. I ate at just 5 food carts (and one restaurant). My heart sighed without the opportunity to try the dozens of cuisines made available to me --from grilled cheese to Hungarian chimney cakes (only on Saturday) to Banh Mi sandwiches and Thai food. 

I settled for trying tacos from two Mexican carts and an enormous burrito and churro from a Mexican restaurant. I also tried Thai food and Indonesian food, and was not disappointed. Confidently, I told the Thai lady I wanted my noodles spicy. While delicious, I spent an hour or so alternately taking bites and gulping down water to put out the fire.

And Powell's City of Books, which I happily lost myself in for a few hours reading comic books, recipe and cooking books, fiction and non-fiction. I didn't take any photos, but you can imagine books upstairs and downstairs and underneath those books and above. All the books anyone could ever imagine in one place. 

Elusive Freemont Bridge
The next day, I set out to walk across a few bridges. I was successful until I saw the Freemont Bridge, and set out blindly to walk there. After walking half an hour to where I thought it would be, and another half hour or an hour looking around for how to get on it... eventually I learned it is not pedestrian friendly. Dejected, I started the long trek back to my hotel to feed my belly and my soul. 

The next day, I learned the Keller Fountain was a mere two blocks from my hotel, so I happily sent out for the easy journey there. And it was lovely. Only a few people sat around relaxing, talking, and enjoying the sound of the water. It has various layers and stages and it was very very serene. I put my feet in, as per usual, and it was bitter cold, so I went on to explore while I had daylight. 


Y'all. That is the smallest park in the world. I
t's called Mill Ends Park and it is a mere 452 square inches. So. Presh.
Keep Portland weird, indeed!

Mill Ends Park

As lovely as it is to travel for work folks, I had barely an hour of daylight after finishing with the training sessions I attended. I'm very grateful, but it certainly isn't ideal. 

To summarize. A very cute place, very very good food, and you can't beat the access. I'm missing that ease and bountiful options in my small town. If you get a chance, go. Cross a bridge. Or five.
-- 
Tina Tina Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment